Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The New Year

So, happy new year everyone. The only thing different, in my mind, is that now I have to start labeling my pictures starting with "2013" instead of "2012."
Picture!

Yesterday I bought myself a GoPro Hero3 Black edition with my Christmas money (plus some of my own money.) Thus far it is pretty cool, and I plan on using it to take some timelapses while in the car/plane in the next week or so. It is amazing what this little camera can pack into such a small body. 4K cinema video at 15fps, 2.7K at 24fps, 1080p at 60fps. The possibilities for this little system are near endless. I plan on using it when I make the TED skit this year for ASME. Hopefully I can stick it on the side of a car or something during the video, since I got the suction cup mount for it.

Here are a few test shots I took today while out and about:

 My neighborhood isn't super exciting, we just have this little bridge area with some irrigation hardware in it, so that's where I went for these shots.

The detail in this one, especially in the ice, is very good for such a modest little camera. I should have gotten it a bit closer, as I'm sure it would be able to see it. The sensor is so small that everything is basically in focus, and for something like this that is perfect.

This one above is probably one of my favorites, since it means that this tiny camera can fit easily inside of a mailbox, yet still pull great detail out of the highlights. The sky and trees at the end of this were completely blown out, but I was able to pull a ton of detail out of them, which seriously impressed me. Well done GoPro. Yes, it isn't as much detail as I would have gotten out of my D600, but that wouldn't have fit inside of a mailbox, now would it?

All in all, I am very excited about the possibilities of this tiny, rugged camera, and am very glad that I bough it, even if the battery life is fairly sad at this point. I might go get a new battery at some point here before too long.

I'll have some more pictures up later,

Preow

Kevin

TV: Rose Bowl and such
Movie: Home Videos from 1994
Game: Minecraft
Music: Macklemore
Food: Chicken Strips and Kool-Ade

No comments:

Post a Comment