Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Light is everything

Well, I haven't really been up to updating this blog lately, but since I'm on break now I can spend some time doing a good post.

Now, instead of doing a post just saying what I have been doing since my last post, I'll do one about how lighting really influences the look and feel of a picture. While it seems to be self-explanatory, I feel like it is something that I have been learning in the past year that I have been really into photography.

These two pictures were taken at pretty much the same place, in my parents neighborhood, but the one on the left side was taken this morning when it was foggy and still snowing a bit, and the one on the right was taken right before sundown, when the sky was clear.




While you can see more details in the one on the left, the whole feel of the one on the right is better, in my opinion. The one on the left isn't quite framed by the trees as I would have wanted, but the wind was bitter cold, and seriously painful to be out in, and I was sort of in a hurry. Now I was still in a hurry for the second shot, as I was rushing to get the picture before the sun went down, and my friend was waiting in the car. when I took it I didn't notice the random power pole on the left side, so that is distracting to me.
 However, I do like the distribution of the tree branches in the right frame, as well as being able to actually see detail in the sky, instead of a plain slate grey sheet. While the whole tone of the left frame is fairly stark and bright, which in some cases can be a good thing, there isn't enough contrast in the frame to make it very interesting.
That being said, the right frame isn't super interesting, but in my opinion it is better. My eyes are drawn towards the sun, but then there is also the reflection in the water that add a bit of depth, and even though the bridge is a bit dark, it is still a fairly good point of interest. Most of the frame is blue, which can be a soothing color, which is offset by the yellow of the sun.

So that's pretty much my opinion on the pictures that I took today. Take it as you will.

Random picture:


Thanks for reading,

Kevin

Tv: Big Bang Theory
Movie: Hanna
Game: Minecraft, Forge on Halo 4
Music: The National
Food: Cheap Chinese food, lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment