Friday, April 13, 2012

D7000

So I am seriously considering getting a Nikon D7000 to replace my D3100. For what I want to do, the D3100 just isn't quite cutting it. Yes, it is a fantastic camera, don't get me wrong, but it is a bit... small, for me.

What I love about the D7000 is:
Full Magnesium body (like the professional bodies)
Closer to professional quality, as well
Dual command dials
Top LCD screen
100% viewfinder coverage (as opposed to 95% for the D3100)
16.2 MegaPixels (up from 14.2, so still a good range, not too much electronic noise)
Remote-control compatible (which my D3100 is not, and I have a remote already)
Has an Auto-Focus motor built in which means that I can use most if not ALL of Nikon's current-gen lenses (as opposed to the D3100, which can just use the AF-S category of lenses)
Much more robust shooting options
Much better high ISO performance (And shooting in a dark pool need this a lot)
HD video capability, like the D3100, but  with a much better AF system
and last but not least
6 Frame per Second burst shooting, up from the 3 that the D3100 has. This one will be best for catching the start off the block and catching the apex of someone doing butterfly.

So that is a pretty good list of reasons of why to get it. Also if I get it I might be able to go and shoot some weddings with My roomate next year, since his partner is leaving to go to school in California. But that is just a big maybe right now.

So that is what has been on my mind for the past couple weeks. And if I am excited enough about something for that long, it means that I am pretty darn serious about it.

Lately I have found that I love photography and everything that goes along with it SO much more than engineering stuff. I just love the creativity and vision that goes along with getting a good frame, getting that perfect shot. The whole process, from picking the Shutter speed to the Aperture, and even in post production. I have spent a ton of time just learning Photoshop lately, and if I had been using basically any of my engineering programs, I wouldn't have been having nearly as much fun. In fact, I would have probably been frustrated out of my mind.

I have been finding lately, from building Lego when I am home on break, to all this photography stuff, to even drawing on pencil, that I am way more creative than technical. Whenever I talk to my friend Geoff on skype, we always brainstorm new stories and characters and locations, all fantasy and sci-fi and who knows what. And we are good at it. People that I have explained our ideas to have said that they would either play that game or watch that show or go to that movie. I like how that feels.

But I have chosen engineering, and I am going to stick with it until I graduate, and then see where life takes me from there. I like it well enough, and I like how I get paid quite a bit (my internship this summer is a 30% pay increase from last summer). This job is what will let me get a D7000.

So this summer will basically be work, and shooting pictures when I get off work. Sounds pretty good.

Here is the Amazon link to the D7000:
D7000

Two days ago I started a twitter account. So far I like it WAY more than either facebook or google+. Though I really like google+, twitter is just a bit simpler. I like that.

Feel free to follow me @KevinFedde

Anyways, I'll leave you with what is one of my favorite pictures that I have taken:

 Note: No post-processing whatsoever went into this shot. This is straight from the camera.

Preow

Kevin

TV: Top Gear
Music: The National
Movie: All I Can
Game: Minecraft
Food: Almonds

No comments:

Post a Comment