Thursday, January 26, 2012

Music!

Hello to the few people who actually read my blog!


Sorry I haven't posted in a while, as my free time has been inundated with homework and... well... Skyrim. 


But I'm not going to be cliche and talk about how awesome of a game it is. I'm going to talk about my favorite bands! So let's get this train a rolling!


(in reverse favorite order)

Thirteen Senses
I was just clued onto this band recently. I have actually had their discography that I got from a friend for a while now, but I never listened to it. I think that there was a minecraft video that I watched with one of their songs as the music, and I was all "huh, I should really listen to them." I was pleasantly surprised. Some of their songs can get kind of old pretty fast, but then there's a few that are absolutely beautiful. And example of this being "Into the Fire" (as seen below).


(Video from Youtube and ThirteenSensesVEVO)

Like with The National (next), their style is very relaxed without too many harsh notes or beats. They have some more ethereal songs, as well.
Their website:
Thirteen Senses
 (picture from thirteenenses.com)

I haven't really listened to them enough to pass too much more judgment on them.
Favorites in no specific order:
Into the Fire, Animal, Do No Wrong


The National
 This band has a more mellow feel than a lot of bands that I have listened to. Their style is very relaxing, even though a lot of the time its a bit hard to figure out what they are saying. I first started listening to them two summers ago.
I like that they are based in Brooklyn, and they have a distinctly American Style.
Here's a link to their website:
The National


(image from GigPosters.com)

This is one of their signature songs, which was released in their newest album "High Violet"



(from youtube and TheNationalVEVO)


Its relaxing and gives me a good feeling inside. Their use of drums and other, alternative instruments puts them in a good place in my mind, as most of the time I don't like bands that just use drums, guitar, and vocals. 
They are also a pretty damn Hipster band, I'll have to admit.
Personal Favorites (in no specific order):
Runaway, Bloodbuzz Ohio, Fake Empire, Ada

The Script
These guys are a bit different than my previous two choices. While they still are a smaller band, they have enjoyed much more public exposure in the past because of their hit song "Breakeven." There was a point probably 2 years ago where I couldn't go a day without hearing this song. Unfortunately, none of their other songs were ever played, with the exception of "Man Who can't be Moved" every once in a while. They have some great songs that no one knows about because they were overshadowed by the success of one.
 That being said, I actually like the namesake song from their second album the best. It has an interesting message, and the music is phenomenal. So I give you "Science and Faith"
 (From Youtube)
Unfortunately I can't link to the official video in the US...

The thing that I like the most about them is that usually their songs tell some sort of story, as well as their great use of music. Yes, they are mostly Guitar and Drums, but they do it in such a way as to make it nice. As seems to be the trend with me, nothing too hard or obnoxious.
 The Script

Favorites:
Before the Worst, Breakeven, The End Where I Begin, For the First Time, Science and Faith, Walk Away

Evanescence 
Where do I start with this band. It is completely different from most things I have listened to in the past. They are a bit harder band, but their music, while being dark, just has a spark of life in it. Also I love Amy Lee's voice. The other members of the band have changed a couple times, but if she ever left, it could never be the same. Their music just has a full, rich feeling.
They didn't have a new album for almost 5 years, and in that time basically the whole band was changed, and they released a self-titled album "Evanescence" that was a slightly different style that their older ones such as "Fallen"
I'll let you compare one of their older songs to their newer ones:
First off: "My Immortal" from "Fallen"
And next: ""My Heart Is Broken" from "Evanescence"

 Evanescence
All of their music is basically just a ride into madness. And I like that.
Favorites:
Imaginary, BringMe to Life, Lacrymosa, My Heart is Broken, What You Want, Made of Stone, Lost in Paradise


Sigur Ros
 An Icelandic band, one of my friends introduced them to me in the end of High School. They basically sing in Icelandic, so I have no idea what they are saying, but it sounds ethereal and nice and relaxing and ambient. It is some of the only music that I can actually study to. 
Sigur Ros 

Sigur Ros is one of the most popular bands in Iceland, but they haven't really seen anything  here in the US at all.

 (From Youtube and sigurros)
I haven't actually gotten any of their latest music.

Not much else to say. Ambient Icelandic music.

 Coldplay
My favorite band for a very long time, Coldplay is one of the most successful bands in history. I was a fan before the whole huge release of "Viva la Vida," and have remained an avid fan now through their interestingly titled newest album "Mylo Xyloto."

Coldplay has been a part of many many days for me, on bad days and good days. They helped me through a couple tough patches in my life where I didn't have much direction. It is they that got me into the more alternative styles of music as has been illustrated here, styles that aren't exclusive to the guitar and drums. Their use of unconventional sounds in their music just adds an interest that few others can match. 
Coldplay 
Being one of the biggest bands out there has its perks, as their newest album is absolutely phenomenal, after spending 4 years on it after Viva la Vida.  
I present to you one of my favorites:
 Their sound is basically unique, and that draws me to them. Its so vibrant and full of life that it energizes me every day. 

But their new albums aren't just the good ones. I think that "Clocks" was their best song, from way back.
(Both videos from Coldplay's Youtube Channel, ColdplayVEVO)
 (Picture from Coldplay.com)

Too many favorites to list, sorry.

They bring to me memories of High School, and new memories in College. Many of the important things in my life have happened while I was listening to Coldplay. So they hold a special place in my heart.

And now, though I'm very excited about music, I'm tired of writing. so Cheers!

 Kevin

 TV: Archer
Movie: Beauty and the Beast
Music: guess...
Game: Skyrim
Food:
Breakfast for Dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment