Sunday, February 10, 2013

ART 163: Sense of Place


For our next ART 163 assignment, we were assigned to capture a place in 20 pictures or so. This is a sort of hard thing to really grasp, since we, as humans, create a context of the room in our memory, where we are aware of what is around the room we are in after a cursory examination, even if we can't see it at the time. For Example, I know that there is a backpack sitting under the table I am sitting at, and that there is another table right behind me.

But with a photograph, you can't know what is outside the frame. IT is hard to get an overarching sense of what the room/place is like from one, two dimensional frame. There could be a table behind the frame, yes, or there could be an 8 foot tall tentacled 3rd grade teacher. You just don't know. The purpose of this assignment was to try to capture that feeling of the room inside of a rectangle.

These next 4 pictures are the shots that I feel are the best, most representative:

So I chose the Manufacturing Lab here in Valpo. Lots of little bits and greebles.
These two shots: The one above is just sort of an overall shot, machines and such. The one one the right is one of the collection hoppers for metal shavings coming off of the Lathe. This is very representative, as it is the messy aftereffects of creating parts. You will always have stuff left over, to be recycled or discarded.

 I found this amusing. It definitely looks like a face to me. This is the end of an End Mill.


This is very representative of any place with large, powerful machines. There were warning stickers everywhere, and for good reason. I probably shouldn't have been in there when I was, but its fine.









All right, now these next... 18 or so are all here for archival and display purposes, so I won't say much about them:



Lots of caution stickers and lots of pipes.










Also it is ridiculously hard to get all of these pictures to work well together...




















Good lord, pictures are WAY too hard to organize in this Blog system. Its annoying.

Anyways, I have been filming for the ASME TED skit for quite a while today. Lots of fairly unprofessional people, but its for fun, so that's fine. Still not quite the quality that I would want, in terms of acting, locations, lighting, and the ability for me to cut together scenes from different angles, but it is fine. My attempt to make a video last year was fairly pitiful, yet it still got some pretty good reviews from the Engineering department, and I hope that this one comes off better.

So now I need to pack all of my stuff up and walk back to my appartment from the engineering building, where I have been hanging out since about noon. Good lord I'm exhausted.

So I'm out.

Kevin

TV: The Newsroom
Movie: TED Skit
Music: "Shrines" by "Purity Ring"
Game: Skyrim, Dragonborn
Food: I have has a cupcake and 2 slices of Pizza today. No wonder I can't gain weight, I don't eat anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment